Sunday 2 October 2022

? Disposable Vapes

 DISCLAIMER: Anyone who attempts to disassemble a disposable vape does so at their own risk. The author takes no responsibilty for any harm caused by doing so.

Now and then I do daft things, like experiment with disposable vapes.I'm an ex smoker, I know all the facts about the addictiveness of nicotine, but the little tubes look so cute, the flavours so enticing...

I find them incredibly addictive. Then I started to wonder, can they be recycled?To market something as 'disposable' is not all that responsible, surely?

Only one way to find out.Equipped with a set of IKEA tools, plastic gloves and some old vapes,I carried out an investigation.Here are my results.

The ends are made of plastic and can be removed with strong pliers.

The 'innards' can be shaken or pushed out; they comprise a vial containing nicotine soaked wadding, and a lithium battery

These bits could be recycled once you dispose of the wadding , with batteries and with plastic waste

That leaves a coloured metal hollow tube.Edges are quite sharp, but there has to be a use for these?


I've moved on to the little rectangular vapes known as Lost Marys.These can be dis-assembled in similar fashion, leaving the sleeve which is aluminium covered in a colourful coating.The Trade marks can be removed by rubbing them with sandpaper. I tried hammering them flat, and ended up with squares of coloured aluminium.I drilled a hole in one corner and turned them into a wind chime. I used old curtain rings to suspend them from, using fine nylon cord. You could use fishing line instead.





The tubular ones would work as wind chimes too , it would be possible to punch a hole either side using an awl, with a wooden dowel running through the middle.But I don't have the necessary tools for that.
Yet.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home