Thursday 23 June 2022

Machine made patchwork quilts

 



I've almost finished some machine made patchwork quilts for young family members. I steered clear of too 'babyish' patterns because, although they are children, they will grow and I want them to be able to continue using these quilts into teenage and beyond, if they want to, that is!

I bought some new 'fat quarters' from a charity shop, and mixed them up with some vintage fabrics and patches cut from old clothing.I made a cardboard template measuring 8" square, and cut about 2cm larger than each one.With a red felt pen I marked a dot at each corner of the cardboard square on the fabric.

I decided to do quilts comprising of 8 x7 x8" squares, 56 in all. Once I had enough of each colourway, I laid them out on the bed to put them in a pleasing arrangement.

I drew a grid and gave letters to the vertical indices and numbers to the horizontal (Maths is key to everything!)and layered them to be sewn into strips.

I joined the strips by connecting the corner dots and sewing these seams.I then joined the strips, turning seam allowances in opposite directions.

For the edging,I used some belts from Lowie.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home