Saturday 27 February 2021

Punk's not dead- Including free pattern

I just finished reading  'Lonely Boy-Tales of a Sex Pistol,' a tell-all book by Sex Pistols guitarist Steve Jones (now a DJ in LA.- you couldn't make this stuff up!) 

It is going to be made into a mini series on FX (called 'Pistol,' out in 2022), a subsiduary of the Disney Channel- the mind boggles. But with Danny Boyle directing, chances are it will be as gritty and entertaining as this riproaring, laugh out loud, highly recommended  read. 

I was never a punk, but I knew people who were, and it was not easy being one, outside the North Circular. Basingstoke, for instance. If you don't believe me, check out this FB page by a chap who was at the same Comp as me:
https://www.facebook.com/The-Urge-Diaries-440575332795480

Available to buy, one off:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115217524286


I sense a massive trend a-coming.Here's my first attempt at a Punk jumper. I used chunky wool and a mixture of 25mm and 15mm knitting needles. The original punk jumpers were available at shops, 'SEX' and later, 'Seditionaries', on the King's Rd run by Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm Mclaren, and by extension, grannies everywhere. In fact, I, (pictured here on the left, the original role model for Harry Potter) borrowed my boyfriend's grey mohair jumper, made by his gran, to wear when I was on a foundation course at Winchester School of Art. (Or Winchester School o Fart) as we called it. 
 The painting in the background is by Gillian Ayres.

The lady on the right sporting a funky hairdo is the artist Sue Arrowsmith, one of our tutors. I was designing and selling jumpers at the time, for beer money. She bought one off me for £10 which was a lot of money in those days. My first patron!

There is confusingly another artist called Sue Arrowsmith. The one in the picture did work like this:
Sue Arrowsmith Nine Accidents 1984.Charcoal on paper.



I like this jumper which John Lydon used to wear. Its  beige, green, black, red and white. Apparently his mother made it for him.Facsimiles available on the internet,here:
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/705813153/johnny-rotten-mohair-jumper-replica-of

Without wishing to do a slavish copy, I made a jumper where each piece deliberately doesn't match the others. This is a great way of using up odds and ends of mohair, when you don't have enough for a whole garment.



 I just love randomness in design.The colours I chose were 2 shades of yellow, white, light blue, brown and a sort of aubergine colour. I enjoyed making it so much, I might make a few more for Lowie.


A still photograph of actors playing The Sex Pistols, from forthcoming FX TV drama 'Pistol' expected to air in 2022. I made some of the knitwear, though on close inspection, I don't think the one in the photo is one of mine. There were quite a few knitters involved in this project. Great fun.
6/5/21
Apparently John Lydon has got wind of this project and is less than impressed, and threatening legal action. He refers to it as  'Johnny Rotten vs Mickey Mouse,' with his usual ear for a soundbite.So as my son pointed out, I may have put a lot of effort into something which doesn't even get made! I don't suppose it would be the first time. Watch this space.

Here's a slash neck crop top version for a girl. Could not be simpler.
Very easy to make out of odds and ends of mohair in my stash.It is for a size 10.
6.5mm needles.
Back and front the same.
CO 50 sts, 1x1 rib for 12 rows. Change yarn at each end at random, knitting in stocking stitch to desired length. Work 3 rows 1x1 rib, cast off loosely.For slash neck join top rib side edges for about 4inches/10cm using mattress stitch.
Mark 9 inches down, or more if you want wider arms, either side from shoulder join. Pick up 50 sts(or more) from marker to marker and continue to knit in random stripes until desired length of sleeves. MAKE NO ATTEMPT TO MATCH STRIPES.
3inches or so from desired length, dec 10 sts evenly across the row(40sts). Work 12 rows 1x1 rib, cast off.
Turn inside out and sew side and sleeve seams, sewing in all ends neatly. Thats all folks !

The above jumper is symmetrical.If you have the skills, make decreases for front neck and then cast on stitches for the back neck and continue knitting, without a shoulder seam.

Making jumpers like this, all different, all one of a kind, for Lowie,18 Half Moon Lane, Herne Hill.

This one is not symmetrical!!

3 Comments:

At 15 December 2023 at 00:28 , Anonymous Lovisa said...

Ok extreme beginner here but this blogpost is the closest thing I’ve found to what I’m looking to make. Is the slash knit sweater knit in 4 pieces and sewn together? Or is the sleep constructed on the garment itself. Anyway beautifully done

 
At 15 December 2023 at 02:31 , Blogger Jo Bodley said...

First you make front and back separately, join shoulder seams and then pick up stitches along sides for sleeves, so yes, they are knitted onto the garment. You could make sleeves separately and sew them on if you prefer, whichever is easier for you.

 
At 16 December 2023 at 02:03 , Blogger Jo Bodley said...

I recommend knitting a small square first to check the tension, depending on what sort of mohair you are using, the last thing you want is for the fabric to be too tight, larger needles make for a light airy fabric that shows off the fluffy quality of the yarn. Good luck! Send a picture!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home