Monday 13 September 2021

Dutch Wax Print Cotton Fabric Kimono

 I've always loved the bright, decorative fabrics used to make traditional (and non traditional!) clothing worn by BAME people. Nigerian Artist Yinka Shonibare uses them to recreate tableaux taken from famous paintings, making a comment on history. My son tells me off if I do anything which smacks of 'cultural appropriation,' though, so I've held back from making my own garments from it. Until now! Here he is, modelling my latest 'creation.'(He wants one, too!)




If anyone is entitled to wear it my sister, who has spent a lifetime advancing  diverse cultures and advocating for disability,surely is. I used a sewing pattern for a kimono which has been in my possession for ages. Very pleased with the result.
I used a 6 yard piece of fabric which I first washed at 60 degrees in the washing machine before cutting out and sewing it. You can get them in cotton and polycotton, I prefer the cotton, it has a nice 'handle' once washed.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home